Saturday, September 13, 2008

Another good week

Our Dear Family:

We have had another very good week. I spent a lot of time with outside government and public affairs contacts; Linda has been ill with flu part of the week but has enjoyed her continued organization of family history and working with her assistants. We taught only two English classes this week. The class scheduled with the group of judges was canceled due to anticipated demonstrations at their court house. They are trying cases connected with the demonstrations during the elections in July.

The World Peace Conference was held here during the past week, and I was invited to some of the sessions. The opening session was in the Parliament Building and Matthew Salmon was one of the keynote speakers. Matt was a Taiwan missionary from Arizona and represented Arizona in congress for six years. He now has a PR firm in Washington. He and his speech were very well received here.

A Brother Rauna, Maori from New Zealand, was also at the Conference and invited me to several of the luncheons at the Chinggis Khan Hotel. He also brought many of the delegates to our Church building to meet me and learn more about the Church. I spent time with people from many countries, including Hong Kong, Taiwan, the Philippines. Tonga, Tahiti, Australia, Russia, Korea, and many of the Central Asian countries. It was pleasant and interesting.

I have made contact with many of the educators I trained in Utah and our reunions have been very pleasant. BYU-Hawaii has had an exchange program going on with a university here that had not been very successful. President Andersen asked for my recommendation as to what should be done. I suggested the university I did most with from 1995 to 2000. He has agreed that we talk with them. I will meet with the President on Monday. I also trained him in Utah.

On Friday I had lunch with Narangerel Orgil and his wife (Linda was ill and could not go with us). I brought both of them to UVSC and they got their first degrees there. He went on to a director's and actor's school in Hollywood and is now very famous here.He has made several movies and documentaries and acts in movies in Monglia, Russia,and Korea. He played the role of Chinggis Khan in the the British version of Chinggis' life. His wife is an attorney.

My re-contacting government officials is going well. We will have dinner with three advisors from the Mongolian President's office this week. We have invited all of them to attend a conference at BYU this fall, an annual event.

The weather is still moderate here. It has not frozen in Ulaanbaatar yet; but there has been snow in the high mountains in the country and rains here a few times each week. We anticipate much colder weather before the end of the month.

Linda is feeling better this morning; I am in excellent health. We walk a lot, so we are keeping in good shape.

We love all of you very much.

Grandpa Jackson

No comments: